Though a german-origin cake which got its name from Schwarzwald mountain range in southwestern Germany, a black forest cake is close to everyone’s heart. Topped up with fresh cherries and a simply whipped cream frosting, traditionally, a black forest cake is a spongy cake which is infused with cherry liquor. Though a black forest cake online can be found across many reputed online bakery’s website. But the art of baking is this exotic edible masterpiece that is absolutely a treat, which one needs to try baking, once in his/her lifetime.
So, here’s an easy recipe to bake a lip-smacking pound of black forest cake at home from scratch. Make sure to give it a try for your love for this dessert.
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour (spoon & levelled)
- 3/4 cup (65g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 and 3/4 cups (350g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/2 cup (120ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water or coffee
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark sweet cherries in heavy syrup
- 2 Tablespoons cherry liquor
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream
- two 4-ounce semi-sweet chocolate bars (226g), finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (30g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Let’s Get Started
- Start by preheating the oven at 350°F (177°C). Grease 3 baking pans of 9 inch and then line it with parchment paper. Make sure to grease the parchment paper even.
- Take a bowl and whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder together. Keep aside.
- Further, pour the dry ingredients batter into the wet ingredients. Pour some hot water or coffee, and beat it all until the batter is mixed well.
- Pour this batter equally in your 3 baking pans. Bake each for 21-25 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check whether it comes out clean and has been baked properly or not.
- Once baked, let it cool down by placing it on a cooling rack.
- Sieve out the cherries, retain 3/4 cup (180ml) of the heavy syrup. Simmer syrup and cherry liquor in a small saucepan over low heat until reduced to ¼ cup. Glaze each of your cakes with the cherry syrup. Further, slice each of the cherries into half to garnish your cake.
Ganache In Making:
- Take a medium-sized bowl and pour chopped chocolate and corn syrup in it.
- Take a saucepan and heat the cream until it comes to simmer.
- Pour over chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes for it to soften.
- Stir until the chocolate has melted and combined.
- Cool it down by setting it aside for 10 minutes.
Whipped Cream In Making:
- Whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until it forms a foamy like mixture about 3 minutes.
Assemble The Cake:
- To make the cake surface smooth, cut a thin layer off the tops of the cakes.
- Place 1 cake layer on your cake turntable.
- Spread 1 heaping cup of whipped cream evenly.
- Top it up with half of the halved cherries and drizzle with a spoonful of reduced syrup.
- Similarly, place the 2nd and 3rd layer and follow the same instructions.
- Once you have assembled the 3 layers of the cake on one side, spread the whipped cream onto its sides as well. Smoothen out the whipped cream with the tip of the spatula.
- Pour the chocolate ganache from the top of the cake and leave it to gently drip down from its top to other layers.
- Top it up with cherries and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before serving or plating it.
Voila! Your black forest cake is now ready to be relished. Happy Diggin into you! If by chance, our edible exotic paradise didn’t turn the way, you imagined, then fret not order it online. There are many reputed online bakeries which are offering cake delivery in Hyderabad, Delhi and across any XYZ place that you are residing in.